Blackboard is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join it’s Moodlerooms-based Baltimore staff and Open Source Technology Operations team. You can find information to apply at https://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=54&rid=6778
Moodlerooms, the Open Source Technology Operations team is responsible for delivering eLearning services to over a thousand clients comprising almost 4 million users worldwide and includes support, administration and client liaison. A passion for technology and the desire to “do it once, do it right” underpin the culture of the team.
The Senior Systems Engineer will play an integral role in the success of the group.
Specifically s/he will:
- Research, design, develop and implement solutions for fault, performance, capacity, and configuration management for various data center operations. Will work in tightly focused teams to identify efficient, centralized solutions.
- Identify production stability concerns via break point and impact analysis. Design, develop and implement remediation plans to address.
- Design, develop and implement documentation or tools to facilitate Technical Support team responsibilities. Mentor Technical Support team on technical aspects of supported applications.
- Design, develop, and implement documentation or tools appropriate to the maintenance of application platforms.
- Provide Tier 2 support to issues escalated from the Client Engagement Support team. Interface with development teams to resolve Tier 3 ‘in code’ issues. On-call support for escalated off-hours issues.
- Identify opportunity for automation of aforementioned activities. Look for synergies within the production environment from the perspective of complexity, cost, and maintenance activity reduction.
- Execution and maintenance of internal SLAs developed with business stakeholders.
- Whilst being a technical role, the position involves a considerable amount of communication with both external and internal clients.
The successful candidate will be someone who is willing to take challenges and responsibilities on-board, and provide continuous input into how the Open Source group can further improve and deliver upon its client services.
- Minimum 4 years experience in a Unix/Linux systems administration role, with particular emphasis on Red Hat Linux, Debian, or their variants.
- Experience administering and maintaining multi-tier application systems in a production environment. Candidate must be able to rapidly deconstruct systems having minimal supporting documentation, then speak to performance capabilities/bottlenecks, break points requiring monitoring, and other issues.
- LAMP stack deployment and maintenance.
- Shell scripting and automation expertise in Bash, Ruby and/or Perl.
- Experience with configuration and automation tools like Puppet, Chef or CFEngine.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly learn new technologies and/or programming languages
- Experience in systems solution design and implementation.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem solving skills, and short term and long term planning skills.
- An ability to work collaboratively with other technical staff.
- Fluency in written and spoken English are required, other languages a plus.
- An ability to operate with minimal supervision.
- An ability to complete tasks to deadline.
- Act as a mentor within the Operations team.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications or equivalent commercial experience
- Experience with code review and continuous integration tools.
- Experience working with highly virtualized environments.
- Experience working in or with a University, TAFE or RTO desirable.
- Familiarity with ITIL incident, problem and change management processes an advantage.
As a bonus, the Baltimore offices of Moodlerooms are located in Federal Hill, a vibrant South Baltimore community also home to my company, StraighterLine (we’d practically be neighbors!).