H5p is the new default for creating rich interactive content on your website. It’s an open source and allows you to create, share and reuse the interactive HTML5 content. H5p provides a range of content types to be used for various needs. Today, I am going to share the top 10 most useful H5P libraries which can be used in your Moodle course to create awesome interactive content.
H5p support Moodle, Drupal and WordPress CMS/LMS as on date. You can download the H5P Moodle plugin from here and the setup instructions are mentioned here. The Moodle plugin is installed as an activity and integrates tightly with the Moodle gradebook. In the latest update to the H5P Moodle plugin, backup and Restore functionality was also added including many content type improvements.
Top 10 H5P content types for Moodle teachers:
At present there are about 29 content types supported by H5P which can be used in your Moodle course. For this article, I will focus on the top 10 most useful out of the total and how they can be used to engage learners. Today, we will see the first 5 and in the next article we will see the remaining content types. So, here we go:
- Arithmetic Quiz – Adds simple arithmetic quiz consisting of multiple choice questions. This content type generates simple arithmetic quizzes (addition, subtraction, multiplication & division) in a flash . As a teacher, you have to decide the type and length of the quiz and the users keep track of score and time spent when solving the quiz.
- Course Presentation – This content type allows the teachers to add different interactive questions to their presentations right within their browser. Typical use case may be to introduce the learners about any subject in the first few slides followed by testing their knowledge through different question types like multiple choice, fill in the blanks & texts. This type of activities reinforce the learning as the student progresses through the presentation.
- Dialog Cards – Awesome tool for language learning courses. The teachers can use the dialog cards as a drill to help learners memorize words, expressions or sentences.
- Find the Hotspot – Challenge your users to find out the correct image answer for the text question. Find the Hotspot content type allow the learners to click on a part of image and check if that was the correct response as per the task description.
- Guess the answer – Let your students guess the answer based on the picture in question. This content type allows authors to upload an image and add a suitable description. The students will guess the answer and click the button below to check the correct answer.
I hope you like all these content types and in the next article I am going to share the rest 5 H5P content types which you can in your Moodle course to create rich interactive content. Do you love any other H5P content type and add it to this list? Do share with us in the comments section below.
Thank you, Jaswinder. Do you know if H5P activities in Moodle connect directly to a Moodle gradebook? I hope to enroll students, have them engage in a lot of language-learning H5P activities, with each submission being recorded as a grade in a Moodle gradebook. Thanks for any tips on how to do this.
Jeff [email protected]
So, would the following be possible or viable? I create a bunch of publicly visible H5P activities, tagged and searchable, at the H5P site. Other Spanish instructors could download the ones they want, and then upload them to their Moodle or other course site, so that their students would then complete them. Or, can these instructors embed the activities (created and housed at H5P) into their own CMS assignments? Again, thanks!
Apologies for delayed reply, Yes all H5P activities will send the grades to Moodle gradebook. Ping me back if you face any problems in setting that up.
In that case you need to create the H5P packages inside the H5P portal and not inside Moodle. After creating the package you can export it as .h5p package which can be uploaded to any supported platform.
Yes, definitely you can manage like that. You can check out this documentation link – https://h5p.org/documentation/for-authors/import-and-export for exporting the H5P files. Let me know if it helps.
I am still waiting for this plugin to be tested by our guys. If I create a presentation on the HP5 website and embed into Moodle, will grading be tracked? New to Moodle and HP5. Thanks.
Yes, the grades of the H5P activities in Moodle course are recorded in Moodle gradebook.
When you setup an H5P activity in your course, you can enter the maximum grade for that activity in the settings. Let me know if you face any problem while setting it up.